While the brain only accounts for 2% of our body weight it uses up 20% of our energy. When our brain is depleted, we can't think straight, don't make simple connection (math homework - not so easy), decline in working memory, reduce self-esteem and confidence, and might even have one of those silly accidents. We also become more irritable, lethargic, stressed, and have less ability to control our shiny object syndrome, squirrels included. No focus, no attention. Just fog and brain dumps.
Want an easy fix, one that will have your whole energy system recovering as well, not just your mind? It's pretty simple... take a Brain Break. Yes, let your brain rest and refresh. Just like every other system in your body, your brain needs a break, too. Take 2-10 minutes every hour to stretch, breathe, laugh, and:
- Step away from the desk. Leave the laptop and phone behind. Trust me. They will still be there when you get back and if someone needs you, they'll come and get you.
- Stand up and stretch when you are on those long, boring "OMG get on with it!" conference calls. Get the blood flowing to excite yourself with an added benefit that the meeting might not be such a snooze after all.
- Stop sitting! Sitting creates dis-ease which we don't want to turn into disease. Periodically stand when you're on the phone or in a meeting.
- Keep hydrated with clean, not-in-a-plastic-bottle water.
- Take an extra minute to stretch and breathe when you transition from one location to another - bathroom, car, your friend's cube.
- Take longer brain breaks as the day progresses and energy systems get lower; 2 minutes early on, 5 in between, 10 later afternoon.
- Let your mind wander when you take a break. Don't focus on anything in particular; let it meander here and there. If you're trying to figure out a problem, let this happen in the background. Miraculously, it usually will.
- Get outside, walk and breathe. Nature is the best free stress reliever and natural energizer you can find.
And for those that are saying "I don't have time." Ya, OK.... not! Start looking at the mess you leave behind when you go go go go go. I'll tell you, it's not pretty. You might not see it because it's staring at you in the face but it will become noticeable sooner than later. So why not brake for a Brain Break before you break? 2-10 minutes is all you need. Spring is here so let your brain spring with rejuvenation and freshness.
Wishing you lots of Peace and Love,
Mindfulness & Lovestyle Coach